Before the nervous system rots, mash the plant and put it on an acupuncture needle… then pierce the needle deep into the forehead. And the corpse will come back to life in two hours. – Ashin
Drama Special Profile:
- Title: Kingdom: Ashin of the North
- Episode: 1 (The episode acts as a sidequel to the second season of Kingdom and explores the backstory of Ashin, the mysterious character Lee Chang’s group encountered on their journey north to discover the origins of the infected)
- Aired: July 23, 2021
- Original Network: Netflix
- Original Title: Ashin of the North
- Genre: Historical period, Political drama, Horror, Thriller
- Written by: Kim Eun Hee (Signal)
- Directed by: Kim Sung Hoon
- Main Cast: Jun Ji Hyun (Legend of the Blue Sea), Kim Si A and Park Byung Eun (Oh My Baby)
- Synopsis: Kingdom: Ashin of the North explores the backstory of Ashin, the mysterious heir of the Northern Seongjeoyain tribe village, and the origin of the resurrection plant that triggered an unprecedented cascade of tragic events that swept through the Kingdom of Joseon. Tragedy, betrayal and a mysterious discovery fuel a woman’s vengeance for the loss of her tribe and family in this special episode of “Kingdom.”
Story: The story is extremely intriguing. The twist was amazing. From the very beginning till the end, there was no boredom whatsoever.
Acting/Cast: Both Jun Ji Hyun and Kim Si A put in mesmerizing performances as Ashin. This is Jun Ji Hyun’s comeback after 5 years and she did not disappoint. Her acting is so on point and she is so perfect for the role.
Overall: Kingdom: Ashin of the North is a much worthy special episode and sidequel to the original Kingdom series, and is a must watch if you enjoyed the preceding series.
My Rating – 8.5/10 (This is a thrilling watch and I definitely loved it. This spin off is just worth its hype. I can’t wait for season 3.)
Have you watched Kingdom: Ashin of the North? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!