For me, loving someone is the easiest thing to do. Even when I tried so hard not to, I couldn’t help but to love. I wanted to be disappointed, I could not. For me, love overcomes everything. -Shim Chung
- Title: Legend of the Blue Sea
- Episodes: 20
- Aired: Nov 16, 2016 – Jan 25, 2017
- Original Network: SBS
- Notes: Inspired by the Joseon legend from Korea’s first collection of unofficial historical tales contained in a short story anthology “Eou Yadam” by Joseon-era scholar Yoo Mong In.
- Genre: Fantasy / Romance / Comedy
- Written by: Park Ji Eun (The Producers)
- Directed by: Jin Hyeok (Doctor Stranger)
- Main Cast: Jun Ji-hyun (My Love From The Star) and Lee Min-ho (The Heirs)
- Synopsis: Legend of the Blue Sea is a fantasy romance centered around a motif from the mermaid/merman story in Korea’s first historical (romance) storybook. In the Joseon-era storybook, it is recorded that real-life figure Kim Dam Nyeong returned mermaids/mermen that were caught by fishermen back to the sea. Jun Ji Hyun plays a mermaid, and Lee Min Ho a cold con artist. (Source: Soompi)
- Legend of the Blue Sea is one of those dramas that has all the elements that should make it great, but it ends up being just really ok.
- It’s a mix of romance, comedy, action and fantasy.
- I felt that there was just something missing between the chemistry of the main leads. They didn’t quite have the spark but they still did not disappoint me.
- I liked the OST. My faves : Love by Lyn / A World That Is You by Yoon Mi Rae
- There was nothing exceptional about the drama or the story-line, but if you like fairy tales and the fantasy realm of K-drama world give it a try.
- Still watchable but nothing wow, overall story was good but too predictable.
My Rating – 7.5/10 (It was not totally bad but not great either.)
Have you watched Legend of the Blue Sea? Share your ‘feels’!