Empress Ki (2013)
A leader bears defeat alone. But success is shared by all who stand and fight. The victory belongs to us all. – Wang Yoo
Empress Ki Synopsis : Genghis Khan built an empire that spanned vast regions in East Asia and East Europe. And there was one woman who held immense power in the Yuan Dynasty, which Genghis Khan founded, for 37 years. She was neither of Mongol descent nor from the Han Chinese. She came from Goryeo, a small kingdom in the Far East. She was taken to Mongol against her will as a Gungnyeo (palace women) but somehow overcame her lowly status to become an empress in another land. Her name was Empress Ki. (Source : MyDramalist)
- Ha Ji-won – Empress Ki / Ki Nyang / Ki Seung Nyang
- Joo Jin-mo – Wang Yoo
- Ji Chang-wook – Toghon Temür / Ta Hwan
- Baek Jin-hee – Tanashiri (Danashiri)
- Genre : Historical / Romance
- It aired on MBC from October 28, 2013 to April 29, 2014 on Mondays and Tuesdays for 51 episodes.
- A domestic and overseas hit, the series received the Golden Bird Prize for Serial Drama at the 9th Seoul International Drama Awards.
- Ha Ji-won also won the Grand Prize at the MBC Drama Awards for her performance.
- Empress Ki is a very compelling and powerful historical drama. The plot is so well-paced that you won’t feel like stopping even for a moment and won’t feel like skipping a single scene either.
- There isn’t even one moment of boredom among the hundreds of little and big events that follow one another.
- From the first episode you will feel thirsty to know how the things will develop and you’ll want more and more to know. I always find myself constantly clicking the next episode!
- Acting was more than spectacular! From the main leads to the supporting ones everything was perfect.
- Shout-out to my new crush Tal Tal (Kim Ji Han).
- Ha Ji Won’s acting here is so real and raw that it breaks you every time and leaves you in awe.
- I was impressed by Ji Chang Wook’s ability to convey a varied range of emotions. It made me fall in love with him.
- I would recommend this drama to everyone. Don’t get surprised by its 51 episodes, it’s totally worth watching!
My Rating – 9.0/10
Have you watched Empress Ki? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
- Historical Drama – The King’s Face (2014)
- Ha Ji Won’s Drama – Secret Garden (2010)
I think I saw this on Netflix Australia, but haven’t tried watching it. Pwede ito while I do my sewing. Thanks for the review, I will check!
Haven’t watched this drama pero it’s interesting! Siguro by this week start ako if I have a free time. Finish ko lang muna yung IOTNBO. Hihihi
I haven’t watched this yet! Is this available on Netflix? Looks like a stellar performance since they won awards! 🙂
Yes available siya sa Netflix 😊
I would surely recommend “Empress Ki” to my friends who are watching K-Dramas! Thank you so much for sharing this
I tried to watch this kdrama a couple of year ago and i instantly liked where it was headed. But yeah, it was just such a long series that i dont think i was able to finish it.