Beyond Evil (2021)
That it’s not so important to become a successful person. You sad pooping well, eating well, sleeping well, and not hurting others are what make life great. You said that. – Dong Sik
Beyond Evil Synopsis: Once known as an ace detective in the police force, Lee Dong Sik’s (Shin Ha Kyun) present life couldn’t be more different than what he imagined it would be two decades ago. Instead of scaling up the law enforcement ladder, Dong Sik must content himself with doing menial tasks at a backwater police station due to his failed attempts at catching a mysterious serial killer all those years ago. Some things he has vowed never to share, and the events of that case have left marks on him both physically and psychologically.
At the police station, Dong Sik must work under the supervision of Han Joo Won (Yeo Jin Goo), a popular young detective from a privileged background. Intentionally sent by his father, a candidate in the running for becoming the nation’s next police chief, Joo Won keeps his cards close to his chest and has a fair few secrets of his own. Both parties don’t see eye-to-eye but are forced to work together once a murder case comes along that has uncanny similarities to those that took place 20 years ago. Loyalties are tested and friendships are forged in the search for the person behind these mysterious murders. (Source: Viki)
- Shin Ha-kyun as Lee Dong-sik
An impulsive and eccentric sergeant at the Manyang Police Substation. Once a capable detective, he has been demoted to doing largely menial and tedious tasks.
- Yeo Jin-goo as Han Joo-won
An elite detective from the International Crime Investigation Team at the Department of Foreign Affairs of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency transferred to Manyang Police Substation.[a] Good-looking and highly capable, he has great influence due to being the son of a prominent police chief.
- Genre: Procedural drama / Psychological thriller
- It aired on JTBC from February 19 to April 10, 2021 for 16 episodes.
- It received seven nominations at the 57th Baeksang Arts Awards, winning three – Best Drama, Best Screenplay, and Best Actor for Shin Ha-kyun.
- Beyond Evil is a beautiful mix of emotion and suspense.
- A drama that never fails to surprise you, giving you unexpected twists and turns.
- The drama’s true strength lies in its cast and their superb acting.
- The chemistry between the two men, Lee Dong Sik and Han Joo Won, is on point and works very well.
- Definitely a must watch for crime/thriller enthusiasts.
My Overall Rating – 8.5/10 (Absolutely mind-blowing and every aspect of this drama is well made!)
INSPIRING K-DRAMA QUOTES FROM BEYOND EVIL
- No, living this life is what torments you. That’s why you need to live your day to the fullest. You have to breath, eat, laugh, and you don’t get to die on your own call.
- They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. If people like us with police authority act foolishly, we could not only hurt ourselves but also hurt others.
Have you watched Beyond Evil? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
- Crime / Thriller – Memorist (2020)
- Yeo Jin Goo’s Drama- The Crowned Clown (2019)