Mr. Sunshine (2018)
Words have no power. I will fight with a gun.
Mr. Sunshine centres around Eugene Choi (Lee Byung-hun) who was born into slavery in Joseon but escaped to the United States after the 1871 Shinmiyangyo (U.S. expedition to Korea). He becomes a United States Marine Corps officer and returns to Joseon after participating in the Spanish–American War. While in Joseon, he meets and falls in love with an aristocrat’s granddaughter, Go Ae-shin (Kim Tae-ri), who is part of the Righteous Army. However, their love is challenged by both their different classes and the presence of Kim Hee-sung (Byun Yo-han), a nobleman in an arranged marriage with Ae-shin. While in Joseon, he also encounters Goo Dong-mae (Yoo Yeon-seok), a ruthless samurai also in love with Ae-shin, and Hina Kudo (Kim Min-jung), owner of the popular “Glory Hotel” where Eugene stays. At the same time, he discovers a plot by the Empire of Japan to colonize Korea and soon becomes embroiled in the fight for Joseon’s sovereignty. (Source : Wikipedia)
- Lee Byung-hun as Eugene Choi / Choi Yoo-jin
- Kim Tae-ri as Go Ae-shin
- Yoo Yeon-seok as Goo Dong-mae / Ishida Sho
- Kim Min-jung as Lee Yang-hwa / Kudo Hina
- Byun Yo-han as Kim Hee-sung
- Genre : Historical / Romance / Melodrama
- The series is set in Hanseong (the former name of Seoul) in the early 1900s, and focuses on activists fighting for Korea’s independence.
- The series aired every Saturday and Sunday on tvN starting from July 7, 2018, and ended on September 30, 2018 for 24 episodes.
- It premiered internationally on Netflix.
- As of April 2020, it is the sixth-highest-rated Korean drama in cable television history.
- Mr. Sunshine won the Drama of the Year award at the 6th APAN Star Awards, as well as Grand Prize for Lee Byung-hun.
- The series is the third collaboration between writer Kim Eun-sook and director Lee Eung-bok, after Descendants of the Sun (2016) and Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (2016).
- The drama marks film actress Kim Tae-ri’s small-screen debut.
- Kim Sa-rang was originally cast in the series, but backed out in February 2018 due to scheduling conflicts. She was replaced by Kim Min-jung.
- Mr. Sunshine is a beautiful historical drama – well written, exciting, emotionally stirring and heartbreaking.
- This is not the typical kdrama (all about romantic scenes with cute and sexy guys).
- A great balance between the history, love story and thrilling action scenes.
- Every single actor played their character effortlessly and perfectly conveying the emotions beautifully!
- One of the most tragic ending for all the characters.
- If you are looking for a drama that leave a deep feeling, I recommend this.
My Rating – 8/10
Have you seen Mr. Sunshine? Let me know your thoughts in the comment below!
FANGIRL RECOMMENDS :
- Joseon Dynasty – Sungkyunkwan Scandal (2010)
- Yoo Yeon Seok’s Drama – Gu Family Book (2013)