A Korean Odyssey (2017)
I want her to live the ordinary life she wants. Even if it breaks my heart. The thought of not seeing her hurts me so much that I feel like I’ll burst into tears. Yet, I’m getting ready to leave just so she can be happy. Does that make sense? This must be what it’s like to be in love. – Son Oh Gong
A Korean Odyssey Synopsis : Based on an ancient novel, “Hwayugi” will tell the tale of a self-indulgent hooligan of a monster Son Oh Gong and elegant yet pretentious monster Woo Ma Wang (Cha Seung Won), and their quest to find the light in a dark world. (Source : Soompi)
- Lee Seung-gi as Son Oh-gong (based on Sun Wukong)
- Cha Seung-won as Woo Hwi-chul / Woo Ma-wang (based on the Bull Demon King)
- Oh Yeon-seo as Jin Seon-mi / Sam-jang (based on Tang Sanzang)
- Lee Hong-gi as P.K / Jeo Pal-gye (based on Zhu Bajie)
- Jang Gwang as Yoon Dae-sik / Sa Oh-jeong (based on Sha Wujing)
- Genre : Fantasy / Romance / Comedy / Horror
- Written by the Hong sisters, the drama is a modern spin-off of the Chinese classic novel Journey to the West.
- It aired on tvN starting December 23, 2017 for 20 episodes.
- Park Bo-gum was offered the lead role of Son Oh-gong in July 2017, but eventually declined.
- It has a good mix of romance, drama, comedy, and fantasy.
- The chemistry between Ma Wang and Son Oh Gong, the “bromance”, is really enjoyable.
- The chemistry between LSG and Oh Yeon Seo was not good for me.
- The OST is consistently good. My faves : Let Me Out by NU’EST W / When I Saw You by Bumkey / I’ll Be Fine by Suran)
- Lee Seung Gi as Son Oh Gong is my favorite part about this entire drama. He is very charismatic and cool. Seung Gi is just gold in this series, I cannot think of anybody else for the role of Son Oh Gong.
- I have no problem with the ending, it wasn’t sad or happy. Open ending… hoping for second season.
My Rating – 8/10
What do you think about A Korean Odyssey? Let me know your thoughts in the comment!
FANGIRL RECOMMENDS :
- Fantasy Romance / Horror – The Master’s Sun (2013)
- Lee Seung Gi’s Drama – Gu Family Book (2013)