My ID is Gangnam Beauty (2018)
Who cares about attractiveness? I don’t care about things like beauty. – Do Kyung-seok
My ID is Gangnam Beauty Synopsis : Kang Mi-rae (Im Soo-hyang) decides to get plastic surgery after years of being bullied because of her looks. Her “rebirth” seems successful at first, but as her life at the university unfolds, her plan starts to backfire. The pressure of being a “pretty girl” begins to get to her and, worse, those who can see through her surgery ridicule her and tag her as the “Gangnam plastic surgery monster”. The drama follows Mi-rae’s story of recovering self-esteem as she gets to know her classmate, and former schoolmate in middle school, Do Kyung-seok (Cha Eun-woo). (Source : Wikipedia)
- Im Soo-hyang as Kang Mi-rae
- Cha Eun-woo as Do Kyung-seok
- Jo Woo-ri as Hyun Soo-a
- Kwak Dong-yeon as Yeon Woo-young
- Genre : Coming of age / Romance comedy
- Based on the webtoon of the same name published in 2016 by Naver WEBTOON.
- It centers on the life of a college student who went under cosmetic surgery to evade derision from her bullies yet her decision seems to backfire as her peers ridicule her artificial look.
- The series premiered on JTBC on July 27, 2018 and aired every Friday and Saturday for 16 episodes.
- It garnered praise for its portrayal of issues affecting South Korean society, particularly on its superficial beauty standards and discrimination on the basis of physical appearance.
- The story delivers a very strong message about looks and personalities and teaches you the new meaning of the word “pretty”.
- Though it’s slow-paced, the plot is interesting & thought-provoking.
- The actors are cute and they did a good job. It was so refreshing watching all of them.
- My favorite character is Yeon Woo Young played by Kwak Dong Yeon. I love his charming personality. He’s kind, honest, selfless and very mature.
- Overall this drama is really good to open eyes on how you start to look at people.
- Watch it if you don’t want anything too serious.
My Rating – 8.5/10
What do you think about My ID is Gangnam Beauty? Let me know your thoughts in the comment below!
- Adapted From A Webtoon – What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim (2018)
- Kwak Dong Yeon’s Drama – Love in the Moonlight (2016)