Boys Over Flowers (2009)
“What’s so hard about love? You simply grab the other’s hand and refuse to let go.” – Gu Jun Pyo
Boys Over Flowers Synopsis: Jan Di (Ku Hye Sun) is an average girl whose family owns a dry cleaning store located near the luxurious and well-known Shin Hwa High School. After saving a boy from jumping off the roof of Shin Hwa High School, Jan Di is admitted into the school on a swimming scholarship.
At school, Jan Di tries to avoid confrontation with the four richest and most spoiled boys known as the F4, because she knows what happens to those that stand up against them.
However, when Jan Di’s friend, Oh Min Ji (Lee Si Young), accidentally gets ice cream on the F4 leader’s shoes, she is forced to declare war on the leader of the F4, Goo Joon Pyo (Lee Min Ho).
What will happen, though, when she falls in love with someone from the F4 and Goo Joon Pyo starts developing feelings for her, too? Will the love triangle disrupt the F4 and change their lives forever? (Source: Viki)
- Ku Hye-sun as Geum Jan-di
- Lee Min-ho as Gu Jun-pyo
- Kim Hyun-joong as Yoon Ji-hu
- Kim Bum as So Yi-jung
- Kim Joon as Song Woo-bin
- Also known as Boys Before Flowers
- Genre: Romance / Comedy / Drama
- Adapted from the manga series “Boys Over Flowers” (Hana Yori Dango) written by Kamio Yoko
- Episodes: 25
- Aired: Jan 5, 2009 – Mar 31, 2009
- Original Network: KBS2
Boys Over Flowers is like the “must see” in k-drama world. This is probably the most famous k drama ever, and the first k-drama for a lot of people.
The series has all the aspects that you will come to expect from k-dramas – romance, comedy, love triangles, piggyback rides, “Cinderella syndrome” and more. I really liked this drama, it was super cute and funny.
I loved the secondary love story between So Yi Jung and Cha Ga Eul.
Second lead syndrome.
The actors in this show were awesome and did well with their characters. F4 are all nice eye-candy. Jan Di was so annoying at times and other times strong and cute.
The music in this drama was outstanding. Here are my favorites:
- Stand By Me by Shinee
- Paradise by T-Max
- Lucky by Ashily
- Because I’m Stupid by SS501
My Overall Rating – 8.5/10 (I still like Meteor Garden way better, but Boys Over Flowers is unique enough to be worth watching.)
INSPIRING K-DRAMA QUOTES FROM BOYS OVER FLOWERS
- “His world, my world. There’s no such thing. If you’re in the same spot, looking in the same direction, that’s all that matters.”
- “Opportunities in life only happen once. It’s like when you go to the store and see something but you don’t take it, maybe when you come back you won’t find it.”
- “The things you see with your eyes are not always real, but some things you need to see to believe.”
- “Guys don’t do things for no reason in front of the girl they like. There’s always a reason. I’m speaking from experience, so you can trust me.”
- “I want to carry my own responsibility, then I’ll be able to hold my head up high.”
Have you watched Boys Over Flowers? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
- Romance / Comedy – True Beauty (2020)
- Lee Min Ho’s Drama – The King: Eternal Monarch (2020)