He’s like a bright, shining star. When I receive that light, I feel brighter and also darker. When it’s bright I get my hopes up, and when it darkens I feel disappointment. I hate myself for this and feel ashamed. – Mi Nam
You’re Beautiful Synopsis: The management company of the idol group A.N.JELL insisted on adding a new singer to the group as the lead vocal, Tae Kyung’s voice was hurting. However, the new member, Mi Nam, had to go to the States to repair a botched eye job just before signing the contract. His agent came up with the idea of having his twin sister, Mi Nyu, to stand in for him and pretend that she was her brother. The two of them grew up in an orphanage and Mi Nyu, who was all set to become a nun, agreed to this charade as she didn’t want to spoil her brother’s chance of fame which would make it easier to look for their mother. (Source: MyDramalist)
- Jang Geun-suk as Hwang Tae-kyung
Lead vocalist and guitarist of A.N.JELL. Tae-kyung harbours a cold exterior but grows softer as he began to fall for Mi-nyeo. He is troubled by his past, and his distanced relationship with his mother.
- Park Shin-hye as Ko Mi-nyeo / Gemma (female) and Ko Mi-nam (male; Oh Hee-joon plays Mi-nam’s body double in Ep. 15)
A sweet and naive girl who aspires to become a nun. She is cajoled by her twin brother’s manager to disguise herself as her twin in order to help keep his place in the band A.N.JELL, and to search for their mother. At first, the deception is to last for a day, but circumstances result in it being prolonged.
- Jung Yong-hwa as Kang Shin-woo
Bassist, rapper and keyboardist of A.N.JELL. Shin-woo is the first to discover Mi-nyeo’s female identity, though he does not reveal this to anyone, including Mi-nyeo. Warm and gentle, he acts as Mi-nyeo’s guardian but soon develops feelings for her.
- Lee Hong-gi as Jeremy
Vocalist and drummer of A.N.JELL. Bright and optimistic, Jeremy tends to be oblivious of things around him. He begins to develop feelings for Mi-nyeo, and questions his sexuality because of it.
- Genre: Romance, Comedy Musical, Drama
- It aired on SBS from October 7 to November 26, 2009, for 16 episodes.
- The plot is pretty simple and not something we’ve not come across before. It’s the usual gender bender genre but the humor and characters steal the show.
- With this series you’ll be feeling a range of emotions. You’ll find yourself laughing one moment and crying the next. Your heart will be melting one minute and then breaking the next.
- Everyone portrays their characters really well. The interactions of the main casts as well as the supporting characters were very enjoyable.
- I liked the Bromance between the band members. They cast the band perfectly.
- I fell in love with Hwang Tae Kyung’s smile, smirk and duck pout.
- The music was memorable.
- For all the girls out there, you will definitely “fangirl” over this drama.
- All in all the drama was delightful one to watch and would highly recommend it.
My Overall Rating – 8.5/10 (The story is awesome and refreshing in the most cliché way. It was an enjoyable ride and I’m glad I watched it.)
INSPIRING K-DRAMA QUOTES FROM YOU’RE BEAUTIFUL
- It’s not a crime to like someone. – Jeremy
- Even so, the moon has its uses. Rather than pointlessly brightening up an already bright day, it gives light on a dark night. Isn’t that useful? – Mi Nam
- That writer wrote, ‘Everyone who doesn’t love is guilty.’ That means that anyone who loves, no matter who they love, is guiltless. – Jeremy
- There’s no such thing as a love that’s nothing. – Shin Woo
- Still, you can’t force her to love you… If its not meant to be then it can’t be. – Mi Nam
- The world is round, so no matter how far away you go, just like the magic bus, you’ll immediately return to the place where you belong. – Jeremy
Have you watched You’re Beautiful? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!